Monday, November 26, 2007

Well I am not sure how many post you can have in one day but I do have a lot of catching up to do. Yesterday Norman gave me a GPS Navigation Gadget for my birthday. We had been very busy so we did not get to read the directions before we got in the car to come home from our Thanksgiving Family Reunion. We hooked it up to the charger and attached it to the windshield. I was driving. It was a new experience for me. I had heard about these things but had never had the opportunity to use one. First of all, I thought it would give me a little more warning than it did about turns I needed to make and second of all I thought it would be a little more chatty-sort of like the self-check out at Wal Mart that keeps repeating "Help is on the way!" or the annoying voice at Kroger that shouts "Do you qualify for a "Senior Citizen's Discount?" Anyway, we proceded on our way which was a different way than we usually travel so the territory was very unfamiliar. I knew we were suppose to get on Highway 231 N but we kept passing turns that said Highway 231 N and it still did not say a word about turning. I thought maybe it did not know where we were going. Norman kept telling me I was just going to have to trust it. He assured me that it would let me know when I needed to turn. And sure enough, after a while it spoke and told us to turn onto the right road. Later on I missed a turn and it said it was rerouting us. Once again it came through and directed us to the correct road. As we neared Atlanta the traffic became snarled and we had to make a detour. It was not going to be the shortest way but it turned out to be a beautiful drive back through the country. The fall leaves were gorgeous as they reflected in the ponds along the way. As we were traveling along I got to thinking how much using this GPS was like trusting in God. First of all, had I read the directions for the GPS I would not have had such a difficult time following the information it gave me. The Bible is my directions for life and if I would study it more often than I do I would understand the directions for my life a little better. Secondly, I wasn't sure this GPS thing knew the best way for me to go. It was very hard for me to rely on something I could not see. I wanted to take the other roads that I saw, the roads I thought would be the best way. I wanted to rely on my own knowledge, to do what I thought was best. So many times I do that with God. I know He knows what is best for me but I sometimes want to do things my way. To trust my judgment, to rely on me instead of HIM. Thirdly, just like I made a mistake while I was driving and the GPS put me back on track, God will do that for me in my life. The road we turned down was not the best road and we had to spend some time turning this way and that but eventually by trusting in the GPS we were soon back on our merry way. So goes with God. When I decide to do things my way instead of God's way I have to go through things that are difficult and not very pleasant but He is there always leading me back in the right direction. Fourthly, we were not very excited about taking the detour because we were not sure how long it would take or where it would lead us. We were unsure of the outcome. God sometimes gives us detours in life and we don't understand why or how things will every work out for our good but once again God is there watching over us and helping us through our difficult detours in life. Hopefully, we learn things from our journey, things we might not have learned without the detour. And finally, we arrived home, safe and sound. God will lead us to our final destination to heaven if we just will follow HIM. He is our GPS in life.

3 comments:

Summer said...

Wow! You had a lot to post about. Very good. Can't wait to celebrate your birthday. Maybe we can meet for lunch on Saturday. Are yall going to the SEC championship?

ma said...

This blog is so beautiful. So very meaningful. Thankful for you and Love You. ma

Cheri said...

Mary Jo,
He really is like the 911 operator that tells us where to go when we are lost, uncertain and scared to death. It is amazing when we stop, be still and let Him be God, how He tells us which way to go. Somehow the stopping and being still is the hard part. But even in that, He shows His goodness. After we have run around a little while and gotten ourselves lost and confused, He is still there whispering to us,
"This is the way, walk in it." I love the verse, "And your ears will hear a word behind you, "This is the way, walk in it," whenever you turn to the right or to the left." Isaiah 30:21.
When Debbie and I were lost in Gainsville, when we could see the hospital but couldn't get to it, in desperation we called 911 for help. The first thing the operator said was, "Stop. Tell me what you see."
Then her directions were able to take us right to the front door. How good is God, that like your GPS and the 911 operator, He is waiting to take us where we need to be, if we ask.
Love you and please give my SEC congratulations to Norman. Seth said he would be pulling for the Vols. I think he just wants an opportunity to sing "Rocky Top"!!!
Cheri