Saturday, October 15, 2011

Journal Entry #7



















This week has been very interesting. On Thursday I attended a Ladies Bible study with the ladies from the church where we have been attending. The day before I mapped out the bus route that I should take. The Bible study was @ 10:30. In order to get there on time I had to leave the house @ 8:20. I had arranged for Jenny (the wife of the preacher-preacher’s wives prefer to be referred by their own names than merely “the preacher’s wife” , right, Kay??) to pick me up from the Varsity Lakes bus stop. The first part of the trip went as planned, arriving at my transfer station ahead of schedule. From there I simply walked across the street to catch my connection-which was suppose to be the 754 to Varsity Lakes. I waited a few minutes, boarded the 754 and I was on my way again. After an hour's drive and seeing several signs for Varsity Lakes, I asked the bus driver if we would be stopping at Varsity Lakes station. He informed me that the bus I was on did not stop at Varsity Lakes. I asked him how I could get there and he told me where I should get off and what bus I should take from there. Once I was off the bus I gave Jenny a call to tell her where I was and that I would be a little late getting to Varsity Lakes. She told me she was not far from where I was, to stay put and she would be there in 5 minutes. We were only a few minutes late, which really didn't matter. Australians are going to be having tea before and after any occasion.

The Bible study was at a young woman’s home. There were 10 women who attended and several little ones. The lesson was about fear. She had really prepared for the lesson, including making copies of the lesson for each of us. Many women shared what they feared the most. The lady next to me was from Russia and had a Russian Bible. She asked me whether the scripture was in the Old or New Testament. Her name was Olga. She was afraid of snakes. Another woman was afraid of the dark-she was two small children and another due any time. Miandrea was afraid of sharks-she lives on the ocean. Jenny was afraid of spiders. Hana was afraid of being alone - her mother had left she and her sister alone many times when they were very young. She was so opened and honest with her struggles. She is another home schooler and friend of Jenny’s through a home school group. She and her family escaped from Prague when the communism rule fell in Czech Republic back in the early nineties. All of these ladies are so precious and even though our backgrounds are very different we all struggle with many of the same issues. While talking with Hana I found out she lived about 10 mins. from Hollywell in the community of Helensvale. She offered to take me to the bus station in Helensvale, to which I gladly accepted. On our ride back Hana also told me of a small group mid-week Bible study in Helensvale, which would be a lot closer than Merrimac. I plan on checking it out this Wed. evening.

While I was waiting on my bus to arrive I walked over to the local fair (mall) where I walked up to the McKy counter and asked, “Do you have Happy Meals?” She said. “Yes.” I said, “I would like a Happy Meal and a diet Coke, please.” Then I enjoyed the most delicious hamburger (fresh bun, a thin patty, lots of ketchup and a pickle) and hot French fries with lots of salt. YumYum.

Thanks to all of you who have been praying for me. This week has brought many new friends and Christian fellowship, both of which I was really longing to have.

On Friday, I attended my first High Tea. It was very much like a luncheon with finger sandwiches, tiered serving trays at each table with a variety of sweets, champagne, and of course tea. There was water available for those non-drinkers-which included me and Mimi, the lady that had graciously invited me to walk over with her and to sit at her table since I did not know any one. About 90 women attended this fund raiser for the Leukemia Foundations. There was a lady singer (she was at least 70), a fashion show, a raffle that included many nice prizes (Mimi-won a bottle of champagne-she is probably 75) and lots of fellowship. It began at 11 and finished around 2:30. Each of us received a goodie bag with lots of catalogs, a note pad, a pen, a diary and a nice heart-shaped compact mirror. I have included some random pictures of this event, including some of the models for the fashion show. I also wanted to show you what I wore-thus the picture of me in the mirror. Lots of white and black outfits but mine was rather colorful and I did receive many compliments.

I have done some baking this week. I made tea cakes for Norman's office, white chocolate covered oreos and puffed pastry sticks dipped in white chocolate-I took these to the High Tea. They were a success!

As I have told you before this apartment is very well equipped, however, there are a few missing items. I have been trying to use what we have rather than buying these items. I have found a plastic glass works well as a rolling pin and a wine glass turned upside down is perfect for cutting cookies. Paper clips make great chip clips. When we visited Luke in Grenada I learned that you never throw away any containers-they are very useful-empty oatmeal holds my flour, an empty tomato sauce jar holds my ground coffee and an empty yogurt containers with lids are great for storing leftovers. Thanks, Luke for the helpful tip.

Well you all should be good and sleepy by now. Hope all is well with you. Love to all.

1 comment:

ma said...

Loved you blog. God is really showering you with His favor. I could not find the picture of you. Which one is it.