Sunday, October 9, 2011

Journal Entry #6







On Friday Norman and I attended our first apartment social. They have one on the first Friday of each month and we felt that this would be a good way to meet some of our neighbors. The flyer had said to bring nibbles and drinks. I stressed somewhat on what to bring. I wanted to make a good first impression. I decided on Brownie Bites and Roasted Cinnamon/Sugared Almonds. I arranged the cookies on one of my pretty red trays and put the almonds in a red and white striped bowl. We walked over to the pool area with our nibbles and bottled water. Needless to say we were the only ones there with bottled water. My pretty tray and bowl were the only red on the table, everything else was white and my nibbles were the only sweets-everything else was salty. Later when one of the ladies was passing my cinnamon sugared almonds around, not knowing I was the one that had brought them, she said, "I am not sure what these are but ..." to which another lady replied I don't know either but they don't look very appetizing. (They did sort of resemble Kangaroo droppings but I thought they tasted pretty good). So much for first impressions.

Even though the nibbles were a flop, we did meet some of our neighbors and I have been invited to a High Tea Leukemia Benefit on Friday. Not sure what a High Tea is but you can rest assured I will be googling it before Friday!

We had planned to visit Tamborine Mountain on Saturday but we woke up to a thunderstorm and decided to postpone that adventure. Instead, we went to look at bicycles and we bought Norman a hat. This hat is suppose to protect his neck and ears from the sun. On the way home he was reading all about the hat and how to care for it. The instructions said - "It is shower proof." I looked at Norman and said, "Why would anyone get in the shower with their hat?" If they meant rain they should have said rain. (I am learning). I must say he does look rather handsome in it, even in the shower.

Today we went back to the tiny church on the Gold Coast. Wayne, the preacher had emailed and called to tell us they were having a potluck in honor of the guest speaker from Fiji. I decided to make my new favorite recipe Orzo Salad, Luke's old favorite - Chili Cheese Frito Salad (couldn't find Fritos so had to substitute the only spicy corn chips I could find), stuffed eggs and I took the leftover roasted cinnamon almonds and brownie bites for dessert. I came home with empty dishes. They loved it all!!!

We have been praying about where to go to church long before we got here. We wanted to be where the Lord wanted us to be. I preferably did not want to be in a small church - One of those "Lord, put me where you want me to be but..." request. We had visited a larger congregation last Sunday but we decided to go back to the small church. And today I felt at peace and at home there. The guest speaker was very passionate about his work in Fiji and brought a very good lesson. The people are so precious and always welcome with a hug, as if they are truly glad you are there. I have included a picture of the congregation. And even though they are very small the singing is outstanding and the song leader is very enthusiastic. Some of the songs we know but they may sing a little differently and some are new to us but are very beautiful.

**On a side note-On this day especially I am praising God for the amazing journey He has allowed me to experience over the past year. He has been my refuge and strength, my ever-present help in trouble, my fortress, my portion, my deliverer, my mighty rock. He has sustained us every step of the way. "He has lifted us up out of an horrible pit, He has established our goings. He has put a new song in our hearts, even praise unto our God. (Psalm 40:1- 3). He has been faithful. I am believing Him and praising Him for the wonders He has done, is doing and will continue to do. And many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many. 2 Corinthians 1:11 Thank you to all who have prayed for us over these past 365 days. Amen, amen and amen.

Love you all.

2 comments:

ma said...

Beautiful. Enjoyed it so much. God is good and He is faithful.

MJN6 said...

Mary Lois---I love you daughter more and more each day. As I have told you before she is an "angel flying to close to the ground" as the old Willy Nelson song goes.
Norman