Friday, September 16, 2011

Journal Entry #3































Well I am an unofficial Aussie driver-meaning I have had two driving lessons and I still us the windshield wipers as the turn signal. I have driven once since my driving class with Norman to the market. He drove home.

On Wednesday I fixed the standard salad and baked potato with watermelon/grapes because we were pressed for time since we were meeting Jenny and Wayne from church to attend the Wednesday evening devo/prayer meeting. They meet in someone's home so we were going to follow them. It was at the home of another couple who also has 4 children, who by the way were just getting over the chicken-pox. Didn't get the heads up on that until we got there. They were very welcoming and I had a very nice conservation with Jenny. The guys met in one room and the ladies met in another. They seem to really love the Lord and the Bible.

Thursday Norman worked from home. We got up early and I took him on my route that I run everyday-we walked. We stopped to get Norman a cup of coffee and me a loaf of bread from the bakery. Did I say that I miss my multigrain thin sliced Italian bread from Publix? After our short stop we sat in the park and watched all the people out and around. It was nice.

Our shipment was suppose to arrive between 12:00-12: 30. They arrived around 3:00 in a tiny truck which delivered our 12 small boxes of stuff. WE OVER PACKED!!!! Not sure what I was thinking but I brought 6 regular size tubes of toothpaste, not to mention the 6 travel size, 5 large bottles of baby powder, 4 - 25oz bottles of shampoo, along with several trial size, 4 bottles of hair gel, 3 bottles hand soap, 6 extra toothbrushes and 16 bars of soap. So for those of you that plan to come, no need to bring these items. We were able to find a place for everything including the 20+shoes I brought-see picture of my shoes that go with the decor-I am thinking about becoming an interior designer.LOL After several hours we finally got everything put in its place-pics of frig, which by the way is non-magnetic!!! Special note to Kay and Harold-picture taken(see above) for proof of your position on the refrigerator. Most of my verses that I had reprinted on red paper are placed strategically about the apartment. Kimberly, my TOTY looks great on the entertainment center, Cheri, our picture with one of my favorite verses on it has a special place in the entryway and the photos you or Jim took at sunrise of Florida Park look great under the glass on top of the center piece in the living area. Brenda, I have my prayer angel in the entryway, too. Lynne, the prayer rock is on the nightstand by my bed. The red spatula I bought about 4 years ago after listening to the late Barbara Johnson's book, "Stick a Gerainm in Your Hat and Be Happy". It has been in my kitchen at home and fit right into my kitchen here. The three photo albums are books that I had made from different trips we have taken. Can you believe they match perfectly?? (red/black). The big book is a book that Norman's dad received when he was stationed here in Brisbane during WWII. It has a kangaroo on the front and is entitled Displaying Australia and New Guinea. It has lots of pictures of Brisbane as well as many other places throughout Australia. It has an full page picture of General Douglas MacArthur. Who would have ever thought we would be in the same place as his dad some over 65 years later?

With family photos scattered throughout it now feels more like home. Thanks everyone for helping me decorate the apartment. Now I can see you all in just a step or two.

After all that work on Thursday we had milk and cereal for supper!!! (Didn't take me long to recover from MBCS - "Miss Betty Crocker Syndrome"

It has been really neat how God has (as always) put Christian in our paths over these first few days, not just with visit to church but in out everyday activities. First we went to open an account at the bank on Thursday and the girl that was helping us was talking about working at the bank and how blessed she was to work there. My ears immediately perked up and about that time she said, "I was noticing your bracelet". It was the one you had given me, Cheri, with all the different crossing on it. I said yes it has all different kinds of crosses to which she replied, "Any particular reason you wear it?" And I said, "Well, because I love the Lord. She said, "Me too!" I said, "I thought you were a Christian." It was really neat because then she began to tell us about how she had become a Christian. Then Friday night we had two girls come over that work for John Deere-Kim, who lives here in Brisbane and Jenny, who is here from the states. Jenny is spending the weekend with us and she has been such a delight to have as our very first visitor. (See Luke-people do come for visits to Australia). We sat down for dinner and began to talk. They both mentioned the churches that they attend and how God had done this or that in their lives. It was really neat. Jenny and I went for a long run today. She and I had a good conversation about the Lord. What a blessing!! He is sooooo faithful.

For dinner on Friday night I think I would have made Sara and Ryan proud - see pics above of my prep dishes for scrimp scampi, broiled asparagus, corn on the cob, fresh French bread, salad and blond Texas sheet cake. For the appetizer I served a French baguette thinly sliced with basil pesto, tasty cheese and diced tomatoes. It was rather yummy if I do say so myself and actually I really enjoyed cooking. (Note to Norman children-see I can cook something other than hamburger helper and lean cuisines)

Today after our run, we just kicked back and relaxed, walked down to our favorite fish and chips place-a one man operating hole in the wall place. The man is very gruff and straight forward but his fish and calamari is delicious. We had the sweetlips-last week we had it battered and this week we tried the crumbed. After that Jenny went to the pool, Norman took a nap and I blogged. Then we loaded up the red and white lawn chairs drove down to Surfers Paradise with all the other spring breakers on the Gold Coast. The waves were big and the weather was perfect. We stayed about an hour, came back and had dinner at Paradise Point were they were having a Taste of the Gold Coast, complete with fire twirlers, belly dancers, a roadster car display, and a walking three-man band. The road was blocked and the tables were set up in the middle of the street with white tablecloths and candles. It was very festive. Of course, none of us had a camera.

Everyone has turned in and I must, too. Tennessee plays Florida in the morning @ 5:30 and I don't want to miss that!! Good luck to all you Gator Fans-Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me!!!! Love you all.

1 comment:

ma said...

Thanks for the blog and the pictures. God is Good!!!